Chicken Do Pyaza Recipe
1 1/2 tblsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1 tblsp Red chilli Powder
Salt to Taste
For the curry
1 large onions chopped
2 big tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/4 cup beaten curd
1 bay leaf
1 brown Cardamom
5 – 6 Black peppercorns
1/4 ” Cinnamom Stick
1 tsp Red chili powder
1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp corainder powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp Garam Masala
6 – 7 pearl onions or 1 large onion chopped in big cubes
1/2 cup water (or as needed)
2 tblsp Ghee or Oil
Salt To Taste
3 – 4 long ginger juliennes
1 tblsp chopped coriander leaves
How to make Chicken do pyaaza:
- We start the chicken preparation by first marinating the chicken for 3 – 4 hours.
- For Marination – clean and dry the chicken and cut into medium size pieces. Then rub in the
- ginger-garlic paste, red chilly and salt on all the chicken pieces. Cover it and keep it aside for 3 – 4 hours in fridge.
- In a kadhai , heat the ghee or oil what ever you are using. Now add the bay leaf and then add the ginger garlic paste. Fry it till it gets nice brown. Then add the chopped onions. Cook then till they are also brown. Make sure not to burn the onions.
- Now add the tomato puree and salt and cook till all the raw smell disappears and the oil separates from the paste.
- When the oil separates add the the turmeric powder, red chilly powder and the beaten curd. Stir fry till all the curd is very well incorporated in the gravy. This should take 5 – 10 minutes.
- Now add all the dry spices – coriander powder, cumin powder and half of garam masala. Also add the chicken pieces and the water.
- Stir everything well and add cover the kadhai and let the chicken cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Now add the pearl onions and cook further till the chicken is well cooked.
- Stir occasionally as not to burn the paste. Do not over cook the chicken or it will become chewy.
- When chicken is done add the rest of the garam masala.
- Take out the chicken in a serving bowl and garnish with green coriander and ginger juliennes.